When it comes to importing vehicles into NZ, it’s important to be aware of all the necessary requirements. See our Car Importers NZ summary notes with regards to vehicle compliance, GST & Duty, MAF and our General Notes.
CONDITIONS FOR IMPORT INTO NEW ZEALAND
First Check the Vehicle you wish to Import was manufactured to meet approved Safety and Emmisions standards. This depends on the class of Vehicle, date of manufacture and the Country from which the Vehicle is being Imported. For more of information if you would like to import a car, please visit the New Zealand Transport Agency http://www.nzta.govt.nz/
WHAT IF MY CAR DOES NOT COMPLY WITH THE IMPORT STANDARDS?
In New Zealand you can import any car you wish without Restriction, but it does not mean you will be able to drive it on New Zealand roads. For example you can import a Classic Car that is in no condition to drive, and just store, or have in your collection. If you wanted to drive that car on the road then you would need to go through the Compliance Process.
EXTREME GLOBAL TAKES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR CARS THAT DO NOT COMPLY
GST & DUTY
GST is payable at 15% on the landed Value, which is the Value of the Vehicle, plus freight, plus Insurance. Otherwise known as the CIF (Cost, Insurance + Freight) price.
Duty – Cars and Trucks are free of Duty. Motorhome attract Duty of 10% and Caravans 5%.
If you are exempt from paying GST you need to meet the following conditions:
· Be a first time Immigrant or returning New Zealand Citizen
· If a returning Citizen, you must have been out of New Zealand for over 21 months and must be prepared to sign a Deed where you agree not to sell the Vehicle for at least 2 years
· Vehicle must have been owned and Used for last 12 Months
· You MUST be Physically in New Zealand in order to claim exemption
Must provide the following Documents:
· Proof of Ownership over the last 12 Months
· Purchase receipt for the Vehicle or a Current NZ Valuation from a Local Dealer
MAF now known as MPI (Ministry for Primary Industries)
· Once Vehicle has been unpacked, MPI will Physically inspect the car, and may request Additional Cleaning. Once this has been cleaned to MPI satisfaction, they will then Release shipment
· Your Vehicle must be thoroughly cleaned prior to Shipment
· Marine Insurance is not Included Unless Itemised on the quotation, please contact our office if you require this
· Quotation does NOT include On-road costs such as Compliance, Warrant of Fitness and/ or Registration
NOTES FOR ROLL ON / ROLL OFF SHIPMENT
· NO Personal Items to be left in Vehicle, or Vehicle will not be accepted on board Vessel
· Vehicles Leaking Oil, Water or Petrol will not be loaded